Friday, February 19, 2016

When kids aren't that nice..


Hi all, the fireworks have ended, stores opened this week and most things are back to normal. During Chinese New Year many people were away. Some of the schools are still on break. And since most kids don't have regular homework, they get to go outside more.  

We don't have grass to run about in or a playground to play on. But I'm grateful that there is a huge cement area that's great for playing soccer. It's interesting to watch kids of all different ages play together, toddlers walking in the middle of the playing area and others just standing and watching. Mostly the kids have fun. 

Sometimes I cringe when I see older kids (14) not including younger ones or when kids yell at someone when they miss the ball. Or when there are constant "red cards." Chinese culture has a deep desire to show respect to elders and to behave properly. But there is not always a kindness built into society. People are competitive and love to try to get ahead. But rarely do people hold the door open for another, or give another a high five if they score a goal or say, "great job."  

I'm glad that my kids are included in the games. They are in the thick of it and get the game going. But we often have to talk through what happened, what people said, what the truth is, etc. I try to love on the kids and encourage them to be kind. It's a slow process;)
The other day we were playing with a little girl. She said some hurtful comments to my son. It caused tension and tears. The kids resolved it. Her comment is quite normal in this culture. But they aren't words that we are use to.  In English some things have a different meaning. I trust these things will help build character and problem solving skills.

What do you do in circumstances like these? 

It's been fun getting outside after school and running about. I hope that you have a great weekend. 

This woman was pushing this man with her shopping cart. It was precious to watch.
 
While my big man plays soccer, my 2 year old plays with a few toys.
These guys love playing in the dirt and with sticks.
Thanks for stopping by and reading.

No comments: