Today we are celebrating 10 years of marriage! We've forgiven a lot, grown and matured (still more needed!) moved a bunch, had three children, cried and shared together and have seen God's faithfulness through it all.
My parents-in-law are celebrating their 40 year anniversary, so I recognize 10 years isn't that long in the grand scheme of things:) And there are probably many others who could share so much. But here is what we can share.
Tonight over dinner with our kids we were talking about some of the most valuable lessons we've learned along the way.
Forgive a lot and often. Forgiveness is a choice. I forgive and then my emotions/feelings change. If I waited for those feelings to change, I'd still be waiting now.
Don't get easily offended. Love is not easily offended. This means that we try to give each other GRACE. We try not to get upset or annoyed over those little things (dirty dishes in the sink, things put back in the wrong places, etc.) I think sometimes it's the small stuff that can really get to a person. Let it go.
Our relationships with God have helped us to grow in character and learn to love him more and love each other better. We trust each other because we know that we are committed to Him first and to each other.
Serve the other. We don't always “feel” like doing things, but love is also a choice and we can serve our partner in the little and big things. Maybe it's late at night, we are both in bed but we are both hungry. Love is not waiting to be served, but getting up and getting him something. (Even though I'm warm and don't want to!) We honor the other by serving them or recognizing their desires and laying down our own rights to what we wanted. It is honestly seen and done in the littlest of things. My husband does a great job at this!
Believe the best in the other. We try to believe the best in the other. That means, we talk well of the other and we move in grace. It becomes a life-style. Otherwise resentment creeps in.
Connect together. We try to keep our hearts open to each other. I tell my husband what's on my heart. We communicate. When I got married I thought we were suppose to talk an hour or two every day. I've realized ten years on that we need to communicate but that it's not so much about amount or time, but about opening my heart when I need to (maybe that's once a week or whatever it may be). We also try to have special times of connecting by once a week doing something together. It might be going out for a meal (without children) or going on a walk.
Keep the peace (that was my son's addition). But I like it. We want to have a peaceful home. So we try not to sweat the small stuff, give grace and move in patience and keep the peace. I strongly dislike tension. So we forgive and we don't live by feelings but by decisions and keep the peace.
Learn to love your partner the way they need to be loved. We all have different love languages. When my husband does the dishes I feel loved! He feels love when I encourage him.
Commitment is essential. We are committed to each other for life. Through everything. It's a decision and I keep my heart guarded so that those commitments remain true.
Have fun together. We need to complain less and do those fun things that we did when we first fell in love.
We still are learning.
Thanks for stopping by and reading.








No comments:
Post a Comment