Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Here's a mostly normal day this week



Hi all. I think it's sometimes hard to imagine a regular day. This week is a bit irregular because my little man hasn't been to local school this week (trying to see what it would be like to primarily teach him.) He is a ball of fire.. 

My day started at 5:00 am when my baby woke up and wouldn't go back to sleep. Everyone was awake at six and before long I was making french toast in the kitchen. After an early breakfast, I had them all sit down at the table to color and do some homeschooling. My baby will sit down if I give him food otherwise he wanders around. He opens every closed drawer I have, finds boxes of things to pour out and takes objects out of were they should be and climbs things he shouldn't.
So I helped my little man with reading whilst picking up spoons and forks off the floor. In some families maybe this is easy, but I find trying to correct and teach handwriting and keep other children busy, challenging...
My oldest son worked on handwriting and various other things while my middle child colored. Then we got ready to go to the science museum. (What was I thinking??) It was a blast seeing how things work and doing hands on learning there. It was all fun. 

An older woman took us out to lunch, and it all sort of fell apart under the table and around it. Perhaps she misinterpreted the look in my eyes from "let's leave and help me" to "she's got this covered." Instead of showing great empathy, she turned around to talk casually with people at other tables about how different parenting styles are outside of China.  

I'll skip to this evening... 

We came in from playing with kids outside and had dinner around 5:30 pm. My oldest son was a bit upset at dinner so I read him stories from a book to get his mind off of his hurt lip.  The evening flew by and we started our night time routine (it usually takes an hour.) Once they are in bed, we talk to God, they listen to stories from books and ones we make up and then assure them that it's time to sleep!

I like to enjoy these moments but I'm also always aware there is a lot to be done around the house and I don't get to relax until the house is clean. Every night I tell him I clean up because it's part of my responsibility as a parent. Tonight my little man asked me what I was going to do. I said, "I have a lot of things to clean." Him: "like what?" Me: "the dishes, kitchen, living room, and I need to fold three loads of laundry." Him: "anything else?" Me: "I have to clean the bathrooms, take out all of the garbage, sweep and clean the floors and pick up any toys in the living room." He wasn't impressed! 
I finally relaxed and I'm off of my feet, not mediating any disagreements and enjoying my own moments. I think I'm going to read! Parenting is hard work
but it's a joy. Especially when it's a good day and we are winning our kids hearts. I find it key to try to have a plan (for my own sake) and try to keep right attitudes and persevering.  Perseverance seems so key as I watch other people and learn. How I nee grace! Have a great day. I'm thankful for quiet moments. 

No comments: