Monday, August 04, 2014

"That" look, women and recent photos


Sometimes I go places and I get these "looks." The "I would rather be somewhere else doing something else" kinds of looks. The "I'm bored with life," "I don't care who you are or what you want" kind of look.

It's apparent that they aren't content.  "Face" is quite a big issue so usually people would want to keep face and keep up appearances that everything is ok. 

I think sometimes people are so void of love and affirmation that they can't keep a neutral face.  

Sometimes I think it's a gender issue and reflects how woman here have often been overlooked, under appreciated and unloved. 

I have a lovely friend. Some of her painful memories were being openly compared to other people in her family. Her mom would constantly tell her that her skin was too dark and that she wasn't as pretty as her cousin. She never "did enough," "was enough" and even now "doesn't make enough" and "give enough" to her parents. She had a secret boyfriend for years and the relationship was suddenly terminated after she told her parents; they didn't approve of his job and his social status. 

Today she is a beautiful woman who's received a lot of healing and affirmation in recent years. She's growing in her true identity and is grateful for the changes that have happened in her life. 

Her early days are reflected in so many others. So many woman here have been compared/put down, never affirmed, their relationships not approved of and never heard someone say the words "I love you." Maybe these are some of the people who later give me "those looks." The looks of disdain, discontentment, and anger. It's nothing personal,it's just "that look." Bitterness, self-loafing and resentment take deep roots in hearts. It's hard to show love when maybe they have never received it.

Most marriages are arranged by families. Some are chosen based on love; most based on social status, what a woman's family can bring to the table, etc. I've recently been talking quite a bit to a devastated young woman whose upcoming marriage ended because his parents didn't approve of her parent's social standing/class. He would have been marrying into a lower class and so one day to the next it ended. Her world was shaken upside down. Her parents consolation was "he wasn't that good looking anyways." I feel for these woman who's feelings and decisions aren't considered.  I hope she chooses to forgive, keep moving forward and to reject resentment. She's finding life really hard at the moment.

I had to delete one photo when a woman got "a bit" upset at me. Thought it would have been a good face for this post;) She ignored me and also had "that look." Who knows what her past and present have been. 

Since the early years children learn to submit to parents instructions. Someone the other day asked were I will tell my children to live when they are older. I explained that I will let them choose.  Even women now are told they can only have one baby (unless they themselves or their husband are a single child and so allowed a second child) and aren't allowed to get/stay pregnant with other children. If a pregnancy is found out it is often forced into termination. Woman learn to submit to these rules whether they want to or not. 

I'm thankful things are changing. Woman are getting a louder voice. Parents are learning how to steer away from an old model and how to affirm and praise their kids.  It's an interesting time to be here and I hope and even trust that more and more young woman will find greater love and identity so that when they look at others they won't have "that look" but rather one of love and affirmation.

I love the women around me. They are rich voices - young and old. I'm thankful for the friendships, open hearts and being able to learn alongside of them.

Here are some more photos of the past while. 
Baby swimming is the thing to do. This little one is sleeping and swimming. 
Teaching some kids and grannies how to do loom bands. These two little guys loved it.
Everything in my house at some point becomes a sword! 

She found these baby birds that fell out of a nest and was caring for them. She was giving them milk and regurgitated egg.

A bit of hide and seek.
My little mover wanted to play in the rain and this little girl's aunt informed her that she HAD to do what he wanted. He was happy. She definitely got wet but was also over the moon to practice her English.
We did a special activity at my little man's school and did face painting, some presentations, etc. I painted this little guy's face. I especially loved getting to paint the teacher's faces:)
The security guard let me paint his face. He's my little man's go to man when he doesn't want to be in class! 
The big wok at the school.
The school cook:)
School food!
The inside of a yoghurt factory.

Thanks for stopping by and reading! Have a great week!

1 comment:

Jess "BrightGreenDoor" said...

You have to explain more of this baby swimming thing… Love all the pics!