But as it often seems to happen, I didn't quite have the whole story.
Here's what the real system is...
Chinese preschool lasts three years with three different "grades" or age levels. There is Xiao ban (3 year olds) Zhong ban (4 year olds) and Da ban (5 year olds.)the minimum age for starting primary school is six.
My little man has been in local preschool for two years. His language has advanced a lot, he has local school friends and he's learned how to get chocolate and sweets anytime he wants from anyone. The school and teachers have been patient with him and us. They love him. And overall (apart from putting down firm limits, which then affects overall behavior) things have been great (well and apart from him not always loving it.)
My little man panicked when I painted the picture of him in primary school. He didn't want to leave his friends (I underestimated the friendships. I suppose when he was accumulating Octonauts magazines and saying that he couldn't wait to show them to "Jomie/aka shoes throwing, writing on my little man's body daily and his closest friend" I should have seen the depth of those friendships.)
My option B was homeschooling. I also realized last week that he's not ready to sit down and get serious with it and I'm not ready to have all three wonderful, intense boys home all day, every day. (At present my little man is at preschool from about eight to three Mondays through Fridays.)
So yay for Da Ban at local preschool. I suppose we will handle behavior issues as they arise. :) And from what I've heard he will even start "learning" in school next year. My unconfirmed sources say that means learning pingyin. And I will keep going with a bit of phonics before he heads out the door each morning. Yay for new reading and learning material!!
Thanks for talking through education options with me everyone and thanks for stopping by and reading!!
Have a great week.







No comments:
Post a Comment