Tuesday, February 12, 2013

My Spirited Child

Sometimes I wonder what kind of day it's going to be... sweetness or hyperness.

(I realized that living in a place where I don't ever see little kids quite like my own (Asian kids are lovely, but our kids are just different) running around makes me think he's different.  When we are back in our home cultures, I see that he's quite normal.  Bear with me as I add a bit of dramatics to life and sometimes have moments when I forget he's just normal;) Thanks!

My sweet, spirited little man. 


Give me your camera!

Some of the fireworks from the New Year

 
I love sweet moments with my little people.  I love when I tell my little man that I love him and he looks and me and says "I love you more."  I love playing hide and go sweet with my baby.

I dislike when he goes hyer and loses a bit of control.


Sometimes this is apparent and other times he's just the sweetest, gentlest kid ever.

As his Mom, I'm baised, but I also think he's very really intelligent (he can match flags with their countries and can tell you where Ecuador, Japan, New Zealand, etc. are), creative, pushes boundaries, persistent, an amazing conversationalist, bilingual (and he has a few Spanish words in there too) and a quick learner.  He says some really wise things.  Other funny things.  And he's unique. 

We're trying to find our way and we've tried putting down firm limits and enforcing them. 

I've read books. I've tried different strategies.  So many authors offer great things.  Through asking and seeking wisdom we've tried things.  It seems that there is no one way.  A combination, following through and being consistent perhaps, but no magic solution;) 
We've done:

  • sticker charts
  • special rewards
  • no DVD's
  • no sugar
  • consequences
  • positive reinforcement
  • the plan "b"
  • the naughty corner / the thinking chair
  • trying to get to the real reasons of the behavior (the heart connection)
  • taking him outside / changing the environment
  • asking forgiveness for anger and bad attitudes and having him ask for his heart to change
  • talking to him about walking in the opposite spirit
  • etc
On difficult days... I try to remember "I think it's just a stage" and that he's a spirited kid that's learning to express himself (and that he's 3!)  And most parents are all on the same learning curve.

At times (days like today) everything seems to backfire and he has naughty moments.  Other times we try to just give him grace. 









 


I wonder if part of the issue is a space thing. Does he have enough space to around in? Should I take him outside MORE (when he blatantly refuses and there are days I just don't want to go through THAT and we stay in).

Is it a food thing? We don't have a lot of organic options, but I'm trying to find my own way to help him eat right and not consume too much sugar (or ketchup)

Why is he frustrated and how can I help him unlock those feelings?

He's very sensitive and gets offended when people correct him (they aren't trying to say anything unkind and are doing the right thing, he just takes it the wrong way.) He doesn't like being disciplined and tonight when I was putting him to bed he asked me to apologize for something that happened yesterday (I took my electric book back from him).  He remembers things ("will you tell me sorry for when you.....".  He doesn't necessarily like when people stare at him (hard to avoid that).

He hasn't been in school for various weeks. Is he lacking stimulation and small people to run around with? He plays with his toys, I'm trying to do phonetics with him, he has his brother, and we read books, but I also am aware that he could be stimulated more. Will helping him to find a routine (return to school) fix things or will I get some special talks from his teachers?

I'm wondering how much is to do with his personality and how much is to do with culture, being very different, not yet knowing how to express everything that's going on inside of him, etc. 

Well it's late and I'm going to bed and hoping that tomorrow will be a "sweet child day."


For my new and old readers, please note I write with a bit of drama. He's a normal child. Catch me on a "overwhelmed parent day and I don't live around a lot of other moms with little kids" and perhaps I forget that he's a normal 3 year old that's learning how to do life just like we are. Just need grace and to remember little boys are active.  I'm always so blessed by the people near and far who remind me that's he's just "normal."  THANK YOU!!

 
 My roley poley baby:) 

My cutie:)
We often ride buses but they're not very stroller friendly.  I have to have someone help me lift the stroller off the street onto the bus.
The bus has been empty for the past few days with the holidays.
Closed shops for the New Year:)



No comments: