It's like this... in the afternoon (once he's out of there) he likes it. He DOES NOT like it in the mornings. He tries to take off down the street. He tells me he wants to go get ice-cream. The teachers sort of grab him (arms and legs flapping all around) and I take off whilst he screams.
I get an interesting summary of events when I pick him up. His version has to do with
- kids hugging him all the time
- pulling his t-shirt
- teachers giving him ice-cream
- Him shutting the door to keep other kids from "getting his toys."
- Him singing during nap time
There was a bit of panic for a few days when he started having a nap at school. I think he probably was weaving between the little beds on the floor singing to the kids and trying to get them all to wake up. They mentioned, very tactfully, that he was "slightly disturbing" so he was taken into their office while everyone else slept.
They asked me if he had any special routines. And they didn't quite know what to make when they heard he's always slept in his own bed by himself (kids over here co-sleep till they're 8ish).
So I bribed him: "If you sleep at school, I'll give you a special reward." And he did. 30 minutes in the teacher's arm. We saw the evidence on her mobile phone:)
The second day I asked him to sleep in his own bed. I saw the photos folks. He did it. One hour in his own bed. I'm proud of him. And to be honest, it's a great option for him to sleep at school. If he sleeps at home, he wants to play once he's home, eats a second lunch and then he's having a nap around 4:30pm. He's actually a happier child having slept and eaten at school. It means that once he's back we can really "play" and have a bit of time together in the afternoon (rather than me trying to get him to sleep).
"How does he react with the other kids?" "Well".... the teachers said. "They all want to be his friend. But he doesn't really give them a chance." So the teachers tell the kids to hug him.
It's not really been easy, but he's making it and I think it's a right option for now. His language is advancing (although we've also seen photos of him in front of the English class with the teacher.. that was the class that we asked if he could opt out of), he's relating with other kids (the huggers) and when we pick him up he's happy.
I'm thankful for the great teachers who really like him and that this is working. It's been a crazy last few weeks. Thankful that he's finding his way.
Thanks for reading!!
I hope to add more photos at some point! Life is busy:)
No comments:
Post a Comment