Monday, August 27, 2012

The return of the helicopter

Well I ran into one of the orphans today.  I couldn't help it.  I asked about the helicopter.  And the ship.

It seems that they MAY have been found.  She hasn't seen them yet (and neither have I).  But according to her younger "brothers and sisters", one of their teachers brought the helicopter and ship back from his or her house.  It almost sounds right, so I'm prone to believe it, but I will head down to check it out with my own eyes soon!

I had asked her to come around so that she could help me see if I had their clothing sizes correct for some things that we got in England for them.

7 hours later, she headed home:)

It was great.  I loved seeing her enjoy herself, playing, painting, and creating and just being a kid (she's a young teenager).

She was playing with my little man's toys, doing Lego's and laughing.  At one point she saw these small miniature dogs....

I found these dogs at a car boot sale in England.  They cost about 20 pence (30 cents).  I thought that they were really cute (and small) and that my little man would like playing with them.

For those unfamiliar with a car boot sale, it's like a massive community garage sale.  There are hundreds of cars in one location.  Some literally open up the trunk of their car, others have "stuff" for sale on a blanket on the ground / table and you can find a little bit of this and a bit of that inexpensively.

I had 15 minutes while all three boys were waiting in the car for me.  It was power car boot shopping.  I found Charlie and Lola books, a Fireman Sam and Peppa Pig DVD, a Thomas the Tank laundry basket, little people veterinary clinic, a cuddly Peppa pig toy, a stuffed Buzz, a Buzz clock (that appears to not run:( ), baby toys (that I sneaked into our bags when my DH wasn't looking!) and other little treasures.  It was amazing:)

She asked me for "just one of the puppies."      

Then I asked her if when she was a little girl if she ever had toys.  "No," she said.  She used to have contact with her grandpa so I asked if he ever bought her any toys.  "No."  So I asked, "What did you use to play with when you were small?" "Stones," she replied.

It's many people's reality, but sometimes it's just really hard to understand.

We're blessed to have toys, "stuff," hand-me-downs, family and friends who send us care packages, Grandparents who love to send over "something that they saw when they were shopping," etc.   How different things are over here.  We are blessed with so much.

I asked (again) if the orphanage lets her have her own things.  (toys, clothes, accessories... what can they HAVE)  "Can you have toys?  Do you have any toys now."  "Yes." (Sigh of relief).  "I have a small rabbit and a cat toy."  I don't know what I was hoping for, but a broken rabbit key-chain and cat charm weren't exactly what I was anticipating as a young teen's only toys.

She told me that she could hide the puppy and that it wouldn't be taken from her.

So I started to understand....if toys are visible or appear to be toys, they may be confiscated.

I'm not sure how long she'll be able to conceal the nest of dogs and pups, but hopefully it will stick around longer than the helicopter has.
He was ready to eat the pups.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Christina, I love your blog! You have inspired me to go ahead and start one when I return to China next year.

-Yesenia

Paul Samuels said...

Hard to imagine children with no toys at all. Toys are so necessary to stimulate the learning process.
Wish we were in a position to send a great learning game for each child. I am totally behind on knowing stout the orphanage and your involvement. Don't know if that is due to my memory or not seeing that story. If you wrote about that please send me a copy when you fill me in on the move.

Chad is signed up for the Sep CSBS at Kona. He is very excited.