My DS is quite capable with a ball. He can throw, catch or kick it and loves all three. I find when I go outside, I have to always be ready in case he throws a ball at someone (especially a baby) or maybe he will just be on the defensive and get ready to hit or kick a little boy or girl.
I look around at the other kids and for some reason, when I'm looking, they all seem to be playing so nicely. They usually aren't hitting, pulling hair or kicking people. My books, you all and the internet seem to say that my DS's just a normal "active" BOY. But for some reason, Chinese boys just don't seem to have the aggression, independence and high energy that I'm finding my DS has. Perhaps some of them do and perhaps those are the ones that don't make it outside to "play nicely" at the playground:)
What's a normal toddler like over here? There are a few differences that I've noticed. But as I'm writing this, I'm also realizing a big difference is temperament.
Perhaps over here they're a bit less independent, more carefully watched (they are never left by themselves since they don't wear diapers, so someone is always right there to tell them not to bump their head, not to fall off a chair, to be careful, drink water, etc.) and more easily entertained by just being with family or watching others. Most kids don't seem to have a lot of toys. Of course they have some, but not many. They draw, but I don't think most of them scribble. They like to watch the older boys playing basketball, but they themselves probably don't know how to catch or throw a ball. Sure they like to run around but they also enjoy being carried to and fro. Most adults over here dislike crying, so controlled crying or allowed tantrums are completely foreign.
Kids go outside with their grandparents (or care-giver) and walk around. Sometimes they have a ball (that my DS likes to take off of them) or a car in their hands and they'll play with that. A few of them go up and down the slide and others play on the adult exercise equipment. But many are happy just walking around watching what's going on around them, accompanying their grandma or care-giver to buy fruit and veg. and just getting some fresh air.
Perhaps these result in some of the temperament differences. I'm not afraid if my little guy falls off a chair so he'll climb up it and act crazy. They're not allowed to climb up by themselves (because they're worried the child might fall), so they don't jump off of high places, fall off of furniture, swing or jump on others. They are much more polite and reserved. We play fight with our DS (maybe not ideal) but we tickle him and make him laugh. The kids over here aren't rough handled. I have tried tickling a few and some of them will crack a smile. My DH turns on his magic by chasing them and crawling on the floor. That gets them to crack up! Just a few different things. Not necessarily good or bad, just different.
Today I intercepted (rather late) my DS's foot on another little boy's face. This was the same little boy that he yelled at every time the little guy tried to go up the stairs to go down the slide. He use to only yell at adults (and still does) but now he yells at older kids when they want to get up on the playground, when they want to go down the slide, etc.
I keep telling myself that this is a stage and it'll pass quickly. In the meantime, he's learning how to say "sorry" and make up with others when he's naughty. And I'm trying to learn how to "tame my toddler," and how to help him express himself without being violent. And also how to bring out some smiles and laughter from kids over here.
So much to write about, but thought I'd share a bit about toddlers.
1 comment:
Hola Chris, me gusta saber de tus pasos en China. Creo que Dios hará grandes cosas.
Bendiciones desde Brasil
Cynthia
Post a Comment