Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Crawling on the ground


As William gets more an more active (and heavy!) I sometimes just long to put him on the ground outside and let him crawl around.  Over here the floor is considered dirty and the more I watch what people do in the grass, the more I understand!  The other day I did sneak him onto a clean-looking grass patch for a few minutes.  I was very happy that no one came over to tell us to get off of it either!  I think it was one of the first times he had sat on the grass.


Yesterday, some people in our square were holding him and at one point William wanted to sit down.  It was hilarious to see their panic when he tried to put his bottom on the ground - they tried everything to keep him from sitting and then they hastily handed him back to me (to hold!)  But I saw a Chinese baby crawling outside on the ground. I asked that grandma if it was ok for William to do the same.  She said yes, so I did the unthinkable: I put him on the ground and let him crawl around.  I figured I'd just wash his clothes and that he needed the exercise.  I got fewer looks that I imagined and he seemed quite happy.

No comments: