Wednesday, May 13, 2015

3 boys, 3 houses?

Hi there!  It's almost the end of the week.  It's been a busy one for us.  

The weather is getting warmer.  And as more and more people are going outside, the questions towards are starting to ever so slightly change.  The question that I know get asked about every day (really) is: 



"Who will your boys marry?"  

Please remember that I have three boys: 17 month old, 3 and 5.5 year old.  
 
I love this question.

I love that people are thinking about it. And that they ask me. I find it interesting that they talk between themselves and that they still don't quite know the answer, so they ask.    

In the Middle Kingdom, families save money so that they can buy each son a house. Without a house, that boy is often seen as ineligible to marriage over here.  So people (strangers, friends, grandpa's) ask me, "Will you buy three houses?"  They also ask, "Will he marry a Chinese woman and where will the woman be from?" 

I tell them that I tell my sons I hope that in their wives they find:  
  1. A woman who loves Him.
  2. Someone that they love and will be committed to.
They can decide the rest.  I tell people who ask me that I don't think renting or buying a house will determine the success of a marriage.  Maybe they don't understand my answer so they keep asking me.   And then for a few minutes, I get to have a good conversation with someone about commitment and love and families. I get to listen to them talk about their children and things on their heart.  Today I had 2 people ask me this question.  


Then they asked if I will choose their wive or not?  

I love that cultures and outlooks are so diverse. 


I'm enjoying learning (not easy) about honor.  We are trying to bring that into our family and other relationships.  It's not easy to make it part of everything.  We mess up.  But we are trying. As we learn how to make it part of our family, it's fun to share it with others in the little and big things.  Sometimes that's holding the door open or opening the door when unexpected people come around for various hours.

So when I hear them ask that, I try to drop my guard, listen, connect and think through answers.  I'm sure I make a lot of mistakes.  I don't always say the right thing or maybe I don't listen well.  Sometimes I want to laugh (and do) because another stranger asked me who my children will marry.  Grateful for grace.   

Well we will see what happens in the future.  I'm not in a rush to find out!


Thanks for stopping by and reading.  Have a great end of your week!



Looking at ants.  

at school
My DH and I try to have a date each week.  Last week we went out for hot pot:)
Wedding


No comments: