Monday, February 16, 2015

My five year old's homework over break

My little man is off school for about a week because it's almost the New Year. This is what we were given for him to be working on.. Each photo below is of a different book. There are like 10 books that we were given to be worked through. Yikes. 

Today I tried to get back to teaching him how to read (I took a break for a while and we were reading to him as he wasn't very happy about reading) and we probably worked together for 90 minutes and didn't even touch on his school stuff. Sigh. I don't know if we are going to work on the local preschool work for literally hours each day. We saw that he was in school, always processing in a second language and just needed to have a bit less pressure. I think trying to work through ten books that probably each have ten pages is a lot.

Beyond extra reading and phonetics, we are trying to do some football pickup games in the neighborhood since other kids are around in the late afternoons now.

What would you do if this was you? I'm told that this is normal here: teachers are trying to great high expectations for parents, keep kids busy and doing lots of work. I'm told they want to do their best to help kids succeed the ways that they know.  Not sure what my exact response should be. 

Happy New Year!
   Thanks for reading and stopping by! 

No comments: