Saturday, April 26, 2014

Learning to not sweat the small stuff

And I'm back.  I've contemplated writing.. something.. anything for months.  But the longer I wait, the more I feel like I should really write "something good."  And then I think, hmm, maybe I'll wait a bit longer.

So I could catch you up on getting a root canal in Asia (my mother-in-law wins the prize for accompanying me to hospitals, holding a crying baby, etc.), how I'm doing with the ayis and grannies outside, little people, homeschooling my little man, riding a train for 30 hours with just my little man and baby (and the squatty potties along the way while holding a baby.. hmm.), food, cultural things, or just a bit of this and that.

I feel like I'm almost "in" in the community outside.

  • People know my kids' names.  I'm informed of where I live by others.  Or "today you are buying a lot of things" as opposed to maybe the days when I buy just a bag or two of milk (yes, milk comes in a bag over here).
  • I'm defended from the "new" grannies that think I'm "freezing my kids" when it's like 70 degrees F outside
  • People want to come over to my apartment to try western cooking (eek). 
  • The grannies flock to hold my baby (it's actually quite nice to know that anytime I need a hand, I just have to approach someone and they will very happily hold my baby)
  • I know that someone will inform me where one of my kids are when they are around a corner, etc.
  • People are talking to me instead of just talking at me or only about my kids.  
  • People tell me exactly where they live "in case I need anything" 
  • I get smiles out of the grannies now:)
  • They bring me food that they made.. LOVE.  

I've had a change of heart recently.  Earlier I found it was really difficult to go outside and especially with three kids.  We get a lot of attention.  But I've been trying to not get easily offended. 


I've been trying to take the overly direct questions or comments with a pinch of salt, laugh at the ridiculous thing and keep JOY.

I've also been trying to answer their first questions even when I don't want to.  A little boy asked me how many kids I have.  I thought it was evident since all three were around me but I decided not to joke SINCE my jokes don't seem to quite translate well (can you believe that no one laughs.. not sure if people laugh in English either!).  I told him and asked him how many brothers and sisters he had.  He got quite melancholic and said he's never had anyone, only has himself and it'll never change.  I told him he can be our friend and join in our fun.  My little man later asked why he said that and we were able to talk about including people, perspectives on kids and how they are a blessing, etc.  It's not easy being in that little boy's shoes.


 I'm trying to connect more with people and look them in the eyes and really see them.  It's not always easy.  I can't just focus on my kids and what's going on with them.  Imagine Walmart on black Friday.  That's what it's like at moments after school (there's a preschool in the square so lots of people), and even sometimes at the weekends.  So there are days when I just want to blend in and not be criticized by strangers, or not have the same conversations (no joke) like 20 times a day.   But like I said, things are getting better and I'm learning not to sweat the small stuff and have more JOY.  I'm not by any means THERE but I'm in a process:)  I still have low moments... The other day when a grannie asked me whether my two year old was a boy or a girl I looked at her and pointed to her little two year old grandson and asked the same question (I don't think she was impressed.)  


Our thirty hour train ride on hard sleepers.  My little man fell out of the bunk (I caught him) and he ate instant noodles the whole way.  He was a trooper and enjoyed his "wild adventure."
This is where we do homeschooling in the mornings before he heads out the door.
My baby now has a place at our table, as does our pressure cooker.
He enjoys doing things his way.  Including wearing clothes backwards. 
They did some cooking.
And some baking.
Making friends with the bigger kids.


We don't have a slide or anything BUT we do have small pebbles that make for lots of fun


Next time I'll write about some of the pressures that people deal with over here.  

Thanks for reading and stopping by!

No comments: