Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Eye Specialists

Before my little man started preschool I had to take him for a physical.  It wasn't an easy experience (Needles, people poking, patients and nurses staring at us, the nurse who told him that his English was incorrect when he called a rooster a chicken instead of a cock, etc)  When they checked out his eyes I was told there was a problem.  Of course they told me more than that.  It's just I was lost in translation.    

The woman had a little machine that she put in front of one eye and then another.  It kept saying misreadings.  I tried to ask if it could be the settings or even the fact that he was opposing being still and having a little machine centimeters from his eyeball.
So the machine was something like this..
He just needed to sit still and second later.. hello  reading
I thought about taking him to a doctor in the States (where I'd hopefully understand the situation and language.) But then I realized, I might need two appointments, I'd have to claim it on my insurance, which is rather complicated to use back in the States, I'd lose the no-claims bonus, etc.  So I decided to just get his eyes checked here.  

I decided in the morning, called a friend to ask WHERE should I go and a few hours later I was sitting in a waiting room with a friend and my little guys.  

We stuck out.  One panicking little man. Two little kids. One E sign in the waiting room with everyone looking at him.  We moved quickly onto the "specialist."  He  was kind and quick and very presently told me that there was no problem.  (He told me the first doctor who examined him wasn't really a "doctor.")
Relief.
Thankful.

I was reminded again to take every opportunity, often I "want to" or "will" and imagine doing things at a different time.  I could have waited to see a doctor in the US (it is at times more complicated to work it all out over here).  

Here circumstances change so often.  Products in the supermarket come and go, people take and leave jobs like nothing, appointments are confirmed and cancelled,  etc. I've been trying to remember to take every opportunity in my daily life when I'm:
  • cleaning the dishes right away (it can seem easier to just put them in the sink, but it all adds up.) 
  • I'm trying to get in the habit of putting the clothes on the line when I'm putting my little man to bed (the line and washing machine are in his room).  I try to hang up, pull down and fold the clothes.  
  • Saying what needs to be said at the right, wise time.
  • And remembering that it's those little moments with my kids that will make create those heart-to-heart connections.  Do I listen to him when I'm cooking and running after my baby?   Do I linger to hear what "the best part of his day was?"  Am I understanding when he tells me he doesn't want to do something.  Do I cuddle my baby when he's in the mood instead of doing "something else."  
I'm still on the learning curve. 
This was the sort of machine the specialist used.
My baby loves to try to get on any kids little cars
Both boys love these things.
Our friend has wheels (and a baby seat)
It's hard to pack light when we go places for a few hours:)

My attached baby.  Still in the sling on when I pick up my little guy from school
My little man loves to "do things by himself" including getting some little treats.
I'm ready.. open this door please!
He's got it down pat.
He ducks/hides from people because he doesn't really like being looked at.

No comments: