Thursday, January 10, 2013

Firsts

Happy New Year! The celebrations that often happen seemed lost on me this year. I realized that it was 2013 January first and the day went on. There weren't any fireworks, any festivities out of the normal for the holiday or anything. I think in a few weeks once the new year is brought in over here, real festivities will happen with fireworks, parties and lots of food.

On another note... for various years I've proudly told people that I don't worry about the cold and that I can survive it (without needing to wear long underwear). The trousers that I put on my boys are just normal trousers that they would wear in any season. I've defended their little legs many many times. But this year I gave in.

I not only got my boys long underwear, I bought them Chinese trousers. It was the first time I had ever bought my little man trousers over here. I've never needed to. I've been blessed with so many clothes (thanks Kate, Angeli, and friends!). The trousers that I got my boys have fleece on the inside and they are definitely thicker than any other ones that they have! I was preparing to face some really cold conditions and realized they did need warmer clothes.

Upon visiting some friends, i was scolded and before I knew it, my baby had about 5 woman working together making him new trousers and outfits. He didn't love it, but he was warm! My little man was made a new jacket (apparently you're never suppose this type of fabric. It's like pieces of cotton put between fabric. Washing it takes away the warmth. Oops. I washed it. They put an extra piece of fabric on so that the main clothes don't get dirty. All these things I've never realized!).

Do you know that in many homes outside of the main cities, families share outdoor toilets. They don't have showers in their homes and avoid taking them during the winter since they don't have central heating and find it too cold. They wash their feet instead and they keep nice and clean and warm that way.

I'm looking forward to fireworks, celebrations and the new year over here. I hope that yours is wonderful and full of new things.

No comments: