Sunday, August 19, 2012

The missing helicopter

We're back!  It's nice to be back in our flat, see our friends and get UNPACKED (very happy to not be living out of suitcases).

Today we ran into lots of people we know, which we always love:)  

Comments had to do with...

  1. Comparing which one of our children are cuter
  2. have more hair
  3. blonder hair
  4. which one is stronger
  5. whose nose is bigger, etc

I tried to say that we don't compare them... that ALL kids are just different.

The comments didn't bother me.  I knew that it was coming and that it will be something that we'll hear over and over again, every day.  But I'm not yet sure how to answer people.  I can shrug it off, I can tell them that all babies are different, that we try not to compare our kids, but those aren't things that they seem to accept or understand.  It doesn't make cultural sense.  So I will keep trying and seeking right answers.

I saw some of our favorite little people today.  The orphans.

Background to today's story: Before we went to England, we cleaned our friends apartment.  Often when people leave China, they leave STUFF behind.  There are only so many things you can fit into a bag.  So when I saw lots of STUFF (bags, shoes, toys, decorations, make-up, earrings, etc) left behind, I separated the useful stuff (binned the broken, unwanted things) to give to the orphans.  I thought what girl wouldn't want a new little necklace.  I bet a boy would like a new bag.  Or a warm jacket.  And then I saw a big remote control helicopter.  I found a big Lego ship (thanks M &A) and put it all in the bags for them.  There were four big bags of STUFF!
Skip to today.

I saw the kids.  And I asked them if they've had fun with the helicopter.  How's the ship?!  

"What helicopter?  What ship?" they said.

Hmm.  It was a BIG helicopter.  I decided to make my way to their house to investigate.  What exactly happened to the helicopter, the ship, the STUFF!!

I told them that we wanted to play with the helicopter and the kids. The adults looked.  Here and there.  Under the beds.  In the cellar.  It must be around.  An hour later, after having people look low and high, I left (with no sign of the helicopter).  

I was naive.  I thought that they didn't have toys.  Thought that they'd probably like a few.  Thought it was a good place to direct some.  

They did bring up a box full of other toys and puzzles that the kids hadn't seen.  I was told they were saving the helicopter, the ship (also mysteriously gone) and other toys until they had done well in school (it's school holidays) and once they are older (the oldest is about 15).   

I'm still trying to get my head around it. 

My DH says that maybe the adults just don't want the kids to have toys so that they kids don't get distracted from studying (a very cultural thought).  Hello summer holidays!?  

I don't know.  

They did show me that they gave the kids one rubix cube!? And another very small thing from the four BIG bags of STUFF that I gave them.  Unimpressed.

As for the missing things... well, hopefully they are discovered soon. Or perhaps, it was all given away (just to different kids, ones that perhaps have parents that would have seen the bags.)  Hopefully not.  

My heart's sad thinking about it.  But out of today's talking we have a lunch date planned.  I'm going to go over there and make them cheesy sandwiches.  So no helicopter.  But yes to cheesy sandwiches. 

I'm sure I'm not the first person to find things quickly confiscated from the hands of orphans.  Redirected to other people.  But it was a first for me.  

I hear a crying baby.  He's not a happy camper.  Wants to play and get out of bed.  It's night time.  Time to sleep.  I really don't like controlled crying, but I think it may be the way forward.  Sorry little baby boy!  We love you!  Ok, my turn to go to him.

Update: Controlled crying didn't quite work.  Went back and forth for an hour. I caved. So I cuddled him on the bed.  He was happy to be there, open his eyes.  Play.  He's back in his bed.  Not sleeping.  Not happy.

One hour later after that... he's finally sleeping!  Yay!  Ohh no.. what's that noise AGAIN!

As always, Thanks for reading!




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Christina, perhaps next time you can out the toys directly in the hands of the kids ;).

-Yesenia

Christina said...

I think you're right. There was honestly so much stuff (4 huge bags / boxes) that I think we thought it would be better for them to distribute it. I think it was probably too much stuff (considering they got like two things out of all of it) and will next time put things directly into their hands. Good advice Yesenia:)