Thursday, February 02, 2012

The Grannies

Today 7 grannies came up to me.  I wear my baby in a sling under my jacket.  So many times, people aren't quite sure if I really have a baby "in there." 

The grannies wanted to know, "is it your baby?"

"How old is your baby?"

"Is it a boy?"

"Another boy!"  

"How old is your baby?"

"How old is he?"

"How heavy is he"

"How old is he?
In the end, I confessed that he was a newborn (I usually just tell people he's quite little because nobody here goes out with a baby under about two months old.  They smiled and exchanged looks, verified the information between themselves (some people remember the due-dates that I previously told them).  

I pulled away the hoods and let them have a look at our little guy.  They all said, "oh no, his head will be too cold!"  They pulled at the fabric on my jeans to see how many layers I was wearing and told me I needed to wear more layers.  They were very kind, didn't lecture me and sent me on my way before we got cold.  

A few things that shock people over here...

  1. I put our little man in an upright sling.  They keep their babies horizontal and all tell me why..
  2. We had another boy!  They all think that a girl and boy are more "balanced" and initially shocks people to tell them that we now have two boys:)
  3. That I'm not doing the "sitting month," which means moms stay home and in bed for a month after having a baby.  They are attended to by a special dietician / nurse and stay away from all cold things including open windows, brushing teeth!! (I was told that one today), washing hair, etc. etc.
  4. That I take my baby outside when it's still winter and when he's still a newborn.

Time to feed him:)




No comments: