Saturday, July 17, 2010

An unexpected visitor

People are very friendly here.  Often neighbors, friends and people surprise us and extend friendship, hospitality and more.  I love how people always have a moment to chat, ask how old William is and ask where we're from.  We've found people to be very helpful and kind.  Usually I love to engage with them, but there was one day that I was a bit caught off guard. 
The rain came at about the same time as the blood and screaming started.  I had a very upset baby, a whole bunch of toys, a little duck bike and I needed to get somewhere fast.  I evaluated my options and then looked at the girl next to me who had been playing peek-a-boo with William.  I quickly asked if she could help me.  She grabbed the toys and the duck bike and we both ran for my apartment.  I reacted more than anything else.  I didn't think about what would happen once we arrived at my apartment.
I opened the door, we all came in and I breathed a sigh of relief.  I asked what her name was and we got to know each other.  She started to play with William again and I made his dinner.  


About an hour later, she was still hanging out.  I think at this point, I had asked what her name was about 5 more times because it was a difficult name to say.    

Two hours later, I started to wonder what I was going to do.  She was more than happy to be in our house.  William had been fed, bathed, and was deeply sleeping.  Luke was out, and dinner, dishes and laundry still awaiting.  My new friend was in no rush to leave.

Don't get me wrong, we talked, I asked her questions about herself and her family, I got to know her, she looked at my English books and papers, she had played with William, I had offered her things to eat and drink, but at this point there wasn't a lot of conversation actually happening.  Maybe it was because I was panicking with the whole situation. Maybe it was because the talking had come and gone and so had my Chinese skills.  We were both sitting on the couch, just being.  I was thinking about how the evening was going to tactfully come to a close.  

At long last I had an idea.  I told her that I wanted to know where she lived.  I got up, asked her to show me her apartment, I locked the door behind us, and we both quickly walked until we reached her building.  I told her that it was great to see which apartment block that she lived and then I said I needed to get back to my sleeping baby.  I turned around to head back and she came with me.  I walked to the front door of the apartment building and she was there.  I finally waved good-bye and told her that I was going to go take care of various things for the night.  We finally parted ways.  
Maybe it was a cultural melt-down.  Maybe I should have just got out my games, taught her how to play and just not worried about all that I was planning to do (cook, clean, etc.)  I suppose I could have done many things, but after a few hours, I ran out of ideas.

I still enjoy meeting many new people.  Everyone's great.  My friend, who's name continues to evade me, is very friendly and still plays with William in the plaza.  

3 comments:

Marilyn said...

That is a funny story, Christina! I have had those awkward times before too and unfortunately didn't handle them with as much grace as you did, even though you think you didn't either.

Christina said...

Hahah... it's pretty funny now, but it wasn't at the time:) I bet you guys have loads of interesting stories and things to share! How's everything going now?

Marilyn said...

We're okay, just taking one day at a time.

One story...
One day, during our first few months in China, I was in no mood to have Chinese visitors. Just wanted to veg out by myself. Well, we lived on the 7th floor, with no elevator, and friends would have to ring us up and then we would electronically open the gate. Well, I answered the ring and heard it was this one girl who drained me. I pretended like I didn't understand and hung up. She proceeded to keep calling up but I wouldn't answer the door phone. I peeked out the window and she was just hanging out down stairs in the courtyard. Believe it or not, she stayed down there for 2 HOURS!!! I felt like a prisoner in my own home. My fault though, since I refused to engage her. One of my saddest character moments! ;-)