Sunday, July 18, 2010

A trip to a Chinese hospital

About four days ago William got his measles vaccine.  I knew that there was a possibility that he could get a fever the next day, but I suppose I didn't notice it until two days later. What can I say... I'm a first-time Mom.  I was worried.  I think I took his temperature perhaps 20 times between yesterday and today.  I looked online at what it could be, yes folks, I panicked.

Then today he just wasn't quite himself.  Around lunch time I saw some red spots by his neck.  My friend told me it was just heat rash, it's HOT over here reaching temp's almost to 40 C / 104 F.  She said, "he doesn't have any spots on his tummy does he."  I lifted up his onesie to find that he was covered in them.

We examined him, put a glass cup over the spots to see if they disappeared and when we weren't really sure if they did, decided it would be best to go to the hospital.  My friend didn't want to alarm me, but basically, we wanted to rule out meningitis.  Also, I had seen a little boy yesterday with a blister in his mouth.  So there was the possibility that something could have been contagious.

I'm so thankful that God took care of many details.  A doctor was phoned, our friend drove us directly there, the doctor was waiting for us upon arrival and since it was mid-afternoon, we missed all the crowds.  

They looked over William while I tried to remain calm.  They were worried that it was hand-foot-mouth disease or a different type of virus.  The doctor didn't think that it was a reaction from the measles.  Blood tests were taken and we were given the results within minutes.  I suppose it was the normal areas that were either high or low when a baby is sick, so that was good.

They talked to me about what they thought he may have and suggested treatments.  In the meantime, we called a foreign doctor in a different area to get a second opinion.  That doctor seemed to think that with everything we said that it could still just be a reaction to the measles vaccine.

In the end, we came home and decided to monitor him.  We'll see how he does rather than giving him any antibiotics or other medicine apart from Calphol and baby ibuprofen.  Hopefully the rash will just run it's course, disappear and my happy baby will be back soon.  His fever is completely gone, he's eating and drinking and I think some of the spots even know look a bit better.  So all that's great!

It was a bit of a stressful day.  I felt really helpless.  But I'm thankful that God was supporting us.  We had lots of help finding the right place to go, kind doctors, great attention, and understanding.  I'm grateful that the day's over, that William's sleeping and that hopefully things will get better fast.  Please keep us in your thoughts. Thanks

No comments: