Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Spicy fish head soup anyone? Lost in translation.


Today has been one of those days.  You know what I mean, right?  We all have them.  Right??  In the moment, they're a pain, but later you can laugh at them.

Situation #1:
I was studying for my class when the delivery man came with the white-board we had ordered on www.taoboa.com   We had already refused one delivery because the product was damaged through delivery.  Taoboa is great; they let you refuse delivery without a charge and then the seller sends you a different product!  That is if you don't sign for it.... So here was our second white-board.  It was quickly inspected, the package was signed, the man pulled into his van and then we saw the defect.  So anyways, let's just say there was a bit of trouble having to recontact the taobao and shipping people, explain everything (with a friend doing the go-between in Chinese) and then sorting out what we were going to do with it.  Obviously, this wasn't the ideal way to do this.  Not only did we waste time but we had to pay the shipping to send it back to the seller since we signed for it.  But I still love the ease of it and I'm getting to know the in's and out's of how it all works.

We're sending it back.  After getting two that weren't in a good state, we're just going to go out and look for a decent one here in our city rather than online.  

Situation #2:
I'm getting to know various people.  Chinese food is a topic that comes up a lot.  One of the women I'm getting to know asked me if I like fish. I almost hesitated, but then confidently said, "yes, I do."  She looked at me, beamed and said that she will make me spicy fish head soup.  Ahh.. spicy fish head soup.  My favorite!

Situation #3:
I sometimes get confused with Chinese names; I have a hard time remembering and distinguishing them.  I had planned to get together with William's friend and his mom today.  For various reasons, I needed to change the plans.  All day long, I had been texting (who I thought was the person) in attempts to confirm everything and then also wrote asking to change the plans.  She wrote me telling me no problem, telling me different times, how I can go to her house, etc.  I realized about five minutes before the scheduled time to meet that I really wasn't sure if I had been texting the right person.  Why did she go along with it?  Well, sometimes there's just a bit of a language / communication gap.


My friend helped me send out a Chinese text asking both people if they had a baby.  (yes, things were that bad).  The person who I had been writing all day wrote back to say she's a single girl and that she doesn't have any kids.  Oops.  All's sorted now, but let's just say, it's usually good practice to remember your friend's names in the first place.

William's asleep and it's about time to wake him up and go out again.  My quick break was blogging, but time to run!  See ya! 

No comments: