Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Backup your photos, apparently it's pretty easy to delete ALL of them.

It was a pretty sad night. What's worse than a fussy, teething baby? Losing thousands of photos from your computer!! One minute all my photos were there and the next moment they were gone. Lost. Forever. I quickly googled information, tried to find the photos everywhere, wrote in to picasa, etc. The person on the other side of my question tactfully said, "You, or someone, may have deleted them by accident. Picasa can't delete photos all by itself." Thanks. It was still far too easy to delete them, so my warning to everyone, backup your photos and be aware that if you use Picasa, you can permanently and unintentional delete ALL your photos too easily.

A few saving graces..

  • we have everything backed up until February, so I still have the photos from when William was a newborn.
  • I had just been reading in my quiet time about the importance of not holding onto material things. Ahhh.
  • I uploaded some photos onto picasa web-albums and on facebook (smaller ones), but at least I can retrieve a few of them.
  • And finally, I still have some photos that are on my camera card. I'm sad that I lost the videos we took of William, but well, there's not a whole lot I can do about it, so I'm moving on.
So basically, I probably lost a thousand or so photos in a blink of an eye. :( Be aware and be careful!

On a happier note.. William got his first hair-cut. Here's master hairdresser Luke in action. William didn't quite enjoy it, but hopefully he's a bit cooler now. The Chinese moms and grandma's would really love to see him stop wearing diapers (they think it's too hot for diapers), but I think he'll be in them for a while longer:)

2 comments:

globalgal said...

I feel your pain! I once dropped an external hard drive that contained scanned copies of all my physical photos - thousands of photos that took 2 weeks of nearly nonstop scanning to produce. With just one quick drop, all those scans were gone. I was devastated, but at least I know the physical photos are sitting in storage in the US.

I now have two external hard drives that I copy everything to and then do clones. I also upload all my photos/videos to an online storage site. So I have 3 to 4 copies. External hard drives are really cheap to buy here in China.

I'm sorry you lost your photos!

Christina said...

Global Gal.. Sounds like you're prepared with 3 to 4 copies. I have an external hard drive - I think it's probably time I start regularly using it! The Picassa help man wrote me back with some names of back-up programs. I tried them with high hopes, but Recuva just didn't really pull through. Will take your advice to heart though and back-up. Also, waiting to hear what your status is! Will keep waiting. Hope all is well.