Thursday, April 29, 2010

What's in a name?

We're both back home.  Another very long Thursday!  William and I were on the train again for various hours.  All in all, it was a good day.  Apart from him FALLING off the bed during nap time at a friend's house and getting a huge welt on his head, it was good.  Yes, he screamed a bit and I was more shaken up than he was, but he was ok.  He just has a bit of an egg on his head, poor baby!  I put pillows around him to prevent him from turning and tossing, but unfortunately, it didn't work.  Actually, I still feel awful about it now.  

It was good to have kind and friendly people helping me again throughout today.  We had some really lovely people helping us along the way. The train tickets were all sold out for late afternoon so we had to get a later train back; William was quite tired.  It wasn't ideal, but it worked.  We sat next to some lovely girls (they were actually the SAME ones we sat with on the way there and the SAME ones that tried to help me when we got off the train.  We were all pleasantly surprised to see each other!  They even dropped me off at our apartment and we exchanged numbers.

Luke is encouraging his students to get new names.  He has one girl in his class called "Soldier."  Last week Luke told her to choose a different English name.  Today she came up to him and said, "Mr. Harniess, I think I need a new name but I don't know which one to choose."  Luke then gently said, "your name makes me very sad.  I think it's the worst English name in all of my classes.  When I think of your name, I think of people killing each other."  I'm not sure how she took that one.  He gave her some name options and she's going to have a think about it.  Perhaps next week, she'll be a "Hannah" or "Katelyn."  We'll see.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looking up the defintion of soldier there's no mention of killing. There's even an example of "soldier of the Lord" refering to the definition of "a person who contends or serves in any cause". When I think of soldier I think of respect, service and defending

Christina said...

I agree, when I think of soldiers defending our country I also think of those things - and bravery, etc. I think Luke was thinking of it in a different context though. But yes, point made and I agree!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you agree and didn't mean to sound upset. Hope all is well with you.