Saturday, March 06, 2010

He's NOT cold!

It's been a great week.  We've been getting on our feet, learning lots about our city and well - making a bit of progress with language.  I have a key phrase, "No, he's not cold."  We had to write down 10 emergency phrases and that was definitely high on the list.  I honestly probably use it about 20 times a day!  I'm serious!  People are very quick to think that he's cold and that I need to bundle him up with about 5 more layers.  If any bare skin is shown.. there's trouble.

Today an apartment contract was signed!  We've been looking for the past week for somewhere for us and hadn't really seen anything that we were interested in.  We were looking for something on the first or second floor since there aren't any elevators in the area we're looking.  Six flights of stairs with a baby and stuff wasn't our idea of the right place.  We finally saw a nice apartment; the landlord is great and although it wasn't necessarily straight-forward, things finally were finalized tonight.  Hopefully on Wed. we'll be moving in!!  Yah!!

Luke started teaching.  He's teaching English to 200 law/business/political students and has four classes each Thursday.  It's a long day, he has to leave at about 6:30am and gets back about 12 hours later.  But the students are very respectful and the vast majority are motivated to improve their English.  He finds it easy to get them laughing and looks forward to seeing their progress.

William's doing well.  He continues to draw a crowd and locals love him.  He's eating solids (although it isn't helping him sleep through the night at all.)  Presently he wakes up about every 2 hours at night.. ahhh.. makes for a very restless night for us both since we're all sharing a room.  Hoping that things will change SOON!  He's now sitting up by himself, creeping, loves to stand up and always wants to have something interesting to look at and do.  We love watching him develop and it's been a fun time teaching him about new foods.

Well that's a bit about life at the moment.  We're learning lots...  I can't wait until we can speak more Chinese.  People have been very kind and when I try new words, they really try to understand.  I had one man who was drawing the character on his hand, trying to show me how to pronounce it.  I didn't tell him that I can't read characters yet.. it'll come.

Ok.. hope you're all well.  Love and miss you all.  xx

No comments: