Friday, February 26, 2010

Lost in language..

We arrived!  It's great to be here.  The train ride was long.. very long.  We basically had as much luggage as we could carry, so three big bags, our cute little guy William (who has suddenly become Will as of yesterday since William is a bit difficult to pronounce), and a bunch of carry-on's.  Traveling with your arms full can be hazardous.  Especially where there are stairs that you have to go up and then more minutes later going down (no escalators or elevators).  I was very pleasantly surprised by various people's offers to help carry things down and up for us.  They kindly took a bag or two and significantly lightened our load.  We had arrived!

It's so nice to be here.  I felt a great sense of joy last night.

We've been waiting to ween William until we were a bit more settled... so tonight we boiled up some carrots and mashed them up.  He had his first share of solids and did pretty well for himself.  He got some in his mouth, although most of it ended up on his big.  It's nice to have his play mat out and just start to already feel more settled.  He's creeping around and loves to explore.  If I put him on his back he usually stays in one place, but as soon as we put him on his tummy, he's off moving, reaching and grabbing for anything that looks interesting.

Language study starts soon.  We're already lost.  I try to move my arms, smile and say all (not very many) the Chinese words I know.  I get a few chuckles and William is getting lots of attention and looks.  We need to find an apartment in the next few days/weeks and Luke starts his teaching soon.  So lots ahead; we're looking forward to it.


Lots of love from the three us of..

No comments: