We both started our Chinese language lessons the other week. It was good to start, but realizing that it is going to take a long while to really be able to get the sounds, tones and memorize everything. But it's good to be starting and easing into it all.
I'm realizing that adapting to life in England can be comical. I'm not very smooth at my greetings. I haven't got the hang of a good English greeting. At the moment I often do the side-kisses, hugs or start to put my hands up and then quickly lower them when I realize a "hi" without anything is acceptable. I found out today that girls here don't shake hands. I've actually done a lot of that! It was easy to know what to do i n Latin American.. a side-kiss was always the right thing. After having lived in a culture where people get together for 3+ hours, we realize that we also don't really know the right amount of time to spend with others. I don't want to hurry in and out, but I don't want to overstay my visit. We've had some long visits and afterwards thought, I think we were there a bit longer than our guests were intending. Ohh well.. we're learning! I guess in a few months we'll be into the rythmn of everything and be a bit more culturally clued in.
That's all for now. Luke's on his way home.
No comments:
Post a Comment