Sunday, July 06, 2008

July 4th, water problems and rec school

We're doing good. We just got back from a Sunday service. It was a nice one.  I love the people there and the pastors. Today was a free day and we used it to relax. We had a full week of hosting parties and having many groups of people around and needed a day where we weren't planning, hosting, etc.

The first day of our recreation school in our neighborhood is Tuesday. We're looking forward to getting to know the kids.. It's a hard neighborhood with many social and economic problems. Most mothers stay inside their homes and don't interact with others. The kids are definately more curious and open to getting to know new people.

We've been having some water shortages. I find it amusing as well as annoying. Our neighborhood's water is controlled by a guy named Jesus. His job is to keep the water going... so when all of a sudden we don't have water... I wonder what is going on with Jesus. For an unknown reason (to him it's very obvious, but I still can't quite make sense of it) he turns off the water each night and then turns it back on in the morning (unless it's a weekend or holiday and he is sleeping in...really!).

So I was getting everything ready for our fourth of July party with all the Americans in Mendoza when our water was cut! I started to panick as I imagined serious bathroom problems. I called Jesus, talked to his wife, had someone go by his work-site and see if he was there, and had someone stop by his house and finally hours later got hold of him via phone. Good old Jesus blamed the problem on our electrical provider and soon the water came back. Just in case we had brought a huge barrel of water over to our house to use to flush the toilet. Thankfully though, we didn't need it. It was a great day.. we ate wonderful American food!

When Americans get together... you can be assured that good food will be there. We spent the afternoon chatting, sharing, eating, playing basketball on the court and laughing. Wonderful time!!

Well thinking about you all... with love... Luke and Christina

No comments: