Here are a few photos of things, places and people whilst out and about.
My little man likes coke and our friend told him she would get him a bottle if he finished his noodles. He's a pretty determined fellow, so he reached his goal. He was pretty happy to have his own bottle. He bounces everywhere without extra sugar so he's never had a full coke before.
I love the local general stores.
I love stumbling across wedding photographers. I love watching the couples expressions, seeing their outfits, telling them to try to forgive and respect the other and seeing them interact. In China, wedding photos are taken a few months before the wedding and then presented for everyone at the reception. The new house (I believe in past posts I've told you how the groom has to present a new apartment to his wife) is also filled with their portraits.
I talked to a girl last week and she said, "I'm so sad, I'm getting married soon." In China, many marriages are arranged. As soon as a girl is about 25 years old there is immense social and family pressure to marry. Love is something that can't be waited for or expected.
In the marriage agreements, a girl usually gets a furnished apartment and a whole list of "things." The couple often live in different cities after marriage. They don't necessarily marry because there is a friendship or committed loving relationship. They often are satisfying their parents and fulfilling expectations. Their normal lives continue and couples see each other maybe once a month after they get married. It's not uncommon for people in the same city to not even live together. The woman in these relationships justify it all outwardly, but it's hard for them.
This young girl is surrounded by family pressure to get married. She doesn't love him. She hoped to marry someone who has similar beliefs to herself. Instead, this boy approached her and both parents pushed them to commit and start planning for marriage. I listened and we talked. There isn't an easy answer. But I'm hopeful that she will find grace through it all.
There are many young people in these situationals. They win an apartment and financial security, but struggle with loneliness, rejection, and disappointment. Later, there will be a pregnancy, a baby and often it's the mom and grandma who raise the baby while the husband continues to work in another city. It doesn't always have to be like this. I'm thankful that families and heart attitudes can change. People can change the pattern. We can all make changes in big and small things with His grace. I sure need lots of His grace. Hoping you find grace in your circumstances today.





















No comments:
Post a Comment