Monday, February 07, 2011

Language Learning

I love watching my little man learn.  He is so quick to mimic people and absorbs more than we think he does. 

Growing up in China, he hears a lot of Chinese, but of course we speak to him in English (with two different accents!)  

But he's doing great. He's got a few words down in English and is really cute because he shakes his head to answer "yes" or "no" for things.  So he may not say "NO" but he can sure shakes his head and answer your questions!  

And surprisingly he has quite a lot of Chinese.  I think he's testing out how it sounds and maybe also seeing what our reactions are.  Tonight at the dinner table he was pointing at the strawberries.  I'm convinced that he said "strawberries" in Chinese once we put them in the kitchen.  As much as I want to reinforce the fact that he's learning words, I also want him to hear and learn English.  So at the moment, he said "Cǎoméi," I just got excited and said "strawberry, strawberry."  But sometimes he says things with the cutest accent. When I finish my phone calls, I often say "Háo ba, Háo ba, Háo ba."  Now my son walks around the house and says "Háo ba, Háo ba," (but he sounds German saying it.)  

It's just all really happened this week.  It's been something we've been thinking about a lot and suddenly things are coming together.  So it's an exciting time since it seems like we never know what's going to come out of his mouth.  It's an amazing thing to watch.  

So that's a bit about us.  Here are some recent photos.  



He wanted to be an extra big boy today.

His friend took the wheel for a bit.

He loves all slides!

 He wasn't really happy, but ohh well, at least we got a photo together.

 Lighting off our fireworks:)

Firecrackers are really big here.  It looks pretty cool when all the streets and sidewalks are red.  It's a special time of year.

Chasing bubbles.





Neighbors set off firecrackers right outside our buildings.  They make tons of noise and well... sometimes small fires!  





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very fun to see some photos Christina and Luke. i hope you can continue to update here. its fun to follow you blog. Blessings:)